Thursday, February 19, 2015

Lies or Truth?

"You are a failure. You're not worth anything. You don't belong. Nobody likes you. You're not good
enough. You are ugly. You don't deserve good friendships/relationships. It's your fault. You are the problem. You cause all the trouble. No one wants to be around you. Everyone laughs at you behind your back. No one understands. You will only get hurt."

 Has anyone else ever felt this way? Or am I the only one that gets bombarded with these lies? I think everyone deals with it, at least to some level, and I believe it's something God's people have been dealing with since Adam and Eve.
 Lies are the most powerful thing Satan uses against us. If he can get us to believe them, He knows he has us tied. When we are in Christ, there is no way the devil can hurt us, we are protected. Unless he can get us to believe his lies.
 But are they really lies? When I hear those things, they feel so true. And when I hear them so often, I start believing them. So if they are lies, why do they feel so true? Because satan is the master liar, and is very sly about it. He's not going to put off-the-wall, unrelatable things in our head, because he knows we won't fall for it. He has to use things that are personal to us; that we deal with on a regular basis, such as areas of pain in our life. If it's something we struggle with anyway, it will be a lot easier to get us to fall for it and believe whatever lie it is.
 When those lies come at me constantly, it's hard to recognize them for what they are. The best way I have found in overcoming the lies is to replace them with truth when I realize that I am believing a lie. Sometimes, if it is a lie that has a lot of power in my life, it won't be till the next day, or until someone points it out, that I recognize it. But when I do, I go to God's word and see what God has to say about it. Then study, meditate, and think about it until I believe it. And next time that lie comes at me, I will be able to recognize it quicker, and replace it with the truth. As I continue doing that with every lie, I will receive a whole new programming and thought pattern, which is based in truth!
 Some of the truths I use to replace the lies I hear are,
 "I am talented. I am worthwhile/I have worth. People love me and benefit from being around me. God made me good. I am beautiful. I deserve good friendships. It's not my fault. I make peace, not trouble. I am understood. And by opening myself up, I will receive a blessing.

2 comments: