Thursday, January 15, 2015

Prayer

 Hey! I've been thinking about this post all week, and am just now getting to it...

What is your prayer life like? Is it thriving, or is it getting precariously close to being non-existent? Is it something you look at as being an exciting time, sharing your heart with your best friend; or a 'do-it-because-I-have-to, hurry-up-and-get-it-done' obligation? The times that I have had consistent times of connecting with God, and just spending time talking with Him, have been some of the best times of growth in my life. When I spend time with God, I find a contentment and joy that I don't have otherwise. But when things start getting easy, or busy, my prayer life starts slipping. I push my prayer time off, and get to the 'more important' things. It goes longer and longer, and I continue getting more and more down and discouraged. And I don't really realize why. Yeah, I pray, but normally it's very quick and shallow. And therefore, my relationship with God feels shallow. When I'm in that place, its easy to go into a hypocritical attitude. Wanting that connection with God, but not having it, and being ashamed because of it. Which, when I'm around others, causes me to act like I do have a great relationship with God and everything is awesome. That's really acting a lie, which ends up making me feel even worse. Obviously, it's a very difficult place to be.
 The Bible has quite a few things to say about prayer. Here are a couple of verses that stood out to me.  Hebrews 7:16 'Let us then approach God's throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.' God wants us to come to Him with our questions, requests, and praise. He wants to answer our prayers! I find that amazing. Luke 21:36 'Be always on the watch, and pray that you may be able to escape all that is about to happen, and that you may be able to stand before the Son of Man.' When we pray, it connects us with God in a way that is very important. He makes a way of escape for us when we are being tempted, and guides us through the trials we face. Psalms 145:1-19 'The Lord is near to all who call on Him, to all who call to Him in truth. He fulfills the desires of those who fear Him; He hears their cry and saves them.' Wow! That's totally amazing! It's so easy to forget that what God wants for us is good, His plan for us is perfect, and He is the one who plants our dreams and desires in us. He is near to us and has a plan and a future for us! Let's not miss out on that plan by neglecting to connect with Him and allow Him to speak to us.

              'And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge                   and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and                                        blameless for the day of Christ.' Phillipians 1:9-10

No comments:

Post a Comment