Thursday, March 26, 2015

Song of the Month - Old Rugged Cross

 Hey everyone! I know... its been a while since I've posted anything. Does it seem to anyone else that the slowest months are sometimes the busiest?:)

 This song has been on my mind a lot this month. I'm not usually into older songs/hymns very much, but this one jumped out at me and it is so beautiful!




  1.  The Old Rugged Cross

  2. On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross,
    The emblem of suff’ring and shame;
    And I love that old cross where the Dearest and Best
    For a world of lost sinners was slain.
    • Refrain:
      So I’ll cherish the old rugged cross,
      Till my trophies at last I lay down;
      I will cling to the old rugged cross,
      And exchange it someday for a crown.
  3. Oh, that old rugged cross, so despised by the world,
    Has a wondrous attraction for me;
    For the dear Lamb of God left His glory above
    To bear it to dark Calvary.
  4. In that old rugged cross, stained with blood so divine,
    A wondrous beauty I see,
    For ’twas on that old cross Jesus suffered and died,
    To pardon and sanctify me.
  5. To the old rugged cross I will ever be true;
    Its shame and reproach gladly bear;
    Then He’ll call me someday to my home far away,
    Where His glory forever I’ll share.


"This song was written by George Bennard in 1912. He was going through some personal struggles, and through his reflection of Christ's suffering, the tune and words to 'The Old Rugged Cross' came easily to him. It became one of the most beloved hymns of all times, and is still a favorite today."

Wow... the words of this song have such depth and meaning! And it portrays the beauty of the Cross so well!... 'The emblem of suffering and shame'.  Think about it... Suffering...Shame... 'Where the Dearest and Best for a world of lost sinners was slain.' He was slain. Jesus did that, took that suffering and shame, for me. And for you. 'The dear Lamb of God left His glory above to bear it to dark Calvary... For 'twas on that old cross Jesus suffered and died, to pardon and sanctify me.' He left His glory above. Left it... He suffered and died. Suffered...Died...  'To pardon and sanctify me!' O Glory! Its just plain down amazing!:)  its sends chills up and down my back when I really stop and think about it!  'To the old rugged cross I will ever be true; its shame and reproach gladly bear; Then He'll call me someday to my home far away, Where His glory forever I'll share. So I'll cherish the old rugged cross, till my trophies at last I lay down; I will cling to the old rugged cross, and exchange it someday for a crown.' He not only bore that suffering and shame for me, He will also carry me home to share His glory! Such beauty!:)

 Hope this blesses you:) Have a great evening!



~Comment to let me know your favorite song, and maybe I'll do a post on it sometime!~

    No comments:

    Post a Comment