Thursday, April 2, 2015

Verse(s) for the Month - Jonah 2

...“In my distress I called to the Lord,
    and he answered me.
From deep in the realm of the dead I called for help,
    and you listened to my cry.
You hurled me into the depths,
    into the very heart of the seas,
    and the currents swirled about me;
all your waves and breakers
    swept over me.
I said, ‘I have been banished
    from your sight;
yet I will look again
    toward your holy temple.’
The engulfing waters threatened me,[b]
    the deep surrounded me;
    seaweed was wrapped around my head.
To the roots of the mountains I sank down;
    the earth beneath barred me in forever.
But you, Lord my God,
    brought my life up from the pit.
“When my life was ebbing away,
    I remembered you, Lord,
and my prayer rose to you,
    to your holy temple.
“Those who cling to worthless idols
    turn away from God’s love for them.
But I, with shouts of grateful praise,
    will sacrifice to you.
What I have vowed I will make good.
    I will say, ‘Salvation comes from the Lord.’”

Have you ever been there? In the depths of the sea... The realms of the dead... 'Banished from God's site'? it's painful... I've been in places that felt very close to what Jonah is saying in these verses. BUT: the Lord my God brought me up from the pit. He never lets is children stay in those places for very long. And the only reason we are in that place to start with is so that we would be drawn closer to him. If you feel like you are there now, being engulfed by waves, seaweed wrapped around your head, don't give up hope. God is still there, He still cares, He is just drawing you closer to Himself.  Call out to Him, and He will draw you up out of that pit.
Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment